From Roncesvalles to Santiago de Compostela
35-days €5800 Oct 1-Nov 4, 2020 (6 places) NEW: Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago Oct 3-Nov 4 2020. (only 1 place)
Over 35 spirited days, we’ll walk the Way of St. James, following in the footsteps of pilgrims who have traveled this route for more than 1,000 years to reach the shrine of apostle Saint James in the grand cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. Our unique exploration of northern Spain on foot will embark from the tiny village of Roncesvalles in the Pyrenees, just five miles from the French border. We’ll cross La Rioja, Spain’s most famous wine region, traverse the immense ‘meseta’, Spain’s arid plains, explore gothic monasteries and cathedrals, and sample local culinary specialties. Along the way, we will admire hundreds of modest-to-ornate pilgrim monuments, listen to monk’s Gregorian chants, and climb up to El Cebreiro in gloriously green Galicia on our final stretch to Santiago de Compostela.
Averaging 12 to 17 miles of walking each day, we will rest at comfortable, small inns and ‘casas rurales’ at night. All pilgrims receive “passports” that are stamped at locations along the way to verify our journey. With the use of a support vehicle and time on our side, we will have the luxury of investigating the historically rich sites of the Camino, and occasionally off it as well. Our trek will officially end with a day trip to Cape Finisterre, a rock-bound jut of land on the Iberian Peninsula often cited as “the End of the Earth.”
This truly epic, one of a kind journey is an experience of a lifetime and we look forward to walking it with you.
- Transportation from Roncesvalles to Santiago and during trip for you and your luggage
- 34 nights of hotels with private bathrooms
- Bi-lingual guide
- Daily maps & historical info
- Pilgrims credential (passport)
- Healthy snacks
- All breakfasts
- Two dinners with wine
- Ten picnic lunches
- Full van support
- Guided historical tours of Burgos, Leon and Santiago
- Day trip to Finisterre
- A lot of kilometers!!!!
- October 1-November 4, 2020 (Attn: This trip sells out every year so book early)
- NEW October 3-November 4, 2020 The Complete Camino Portuguese. Lisbon to Santiago. Drop us a line if interested in walking with us from Lisbon.
PRIVATE tailor-made trips are available upon request. Please ask us for details.