12-days days 2019 Date: April 22-May 3 €3200
The Camino Primitivo, also known as the Original Camino due to the fact that the Asturian king, Alfonso II, possibly the first known pilgrim to Santiago, who upon hearing the news of the discovery of the body of Saint James, walked from his palace in Oviedo through the lush green interior of Asturias to Santiago in order to authenticate the remains of this holy man. This was in the 9th century, the origins of the Camino de Santiago when it all began. On this 12-day journey, we set off from the cathedral of San Salvador in the center of Oviedo, the proud and elegant capital of Asturias. Our path will meander ancient chestnut forests and slowly climb through rural farming villages until we reach the gates of Lugo in Galicia, an ancient Roman city, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Camino Primitivo is the most challenging of the Camino de Santiago routes in Spain, however, Spanish Steps will make it work for you in that we have a support van for you to ride in and to carry your luggage. We have selected nice hotels with en suite bathrooms, and we sample wonderful regional foods.
If you are planning to continue your pilgrimage to Santiago after this 12-day Primitivo journey, let us help you plan an add-on journey for you along the Camino Frances.
- Transportation throughout trip from Oviedo (Asturias) to Lugo (Galicia)
- 11 nights hotels with private bathrooms
- Bi-lingual guide or guides
- Daily maps and historical info
- Full van support
- Pilgrims credential (passport)
- Healthy snacks available throughout the day
- All breakfasts
- 5 lunches & 6 dinners w/ wine
- Regular checkpoints along the trail
- April 22-May 3
- JOIN UP with the Camino 100 trip to Santiago starting on May 5-12
- Ask us about a private tour
PRIVATE tailor-made trips are available upon request. Please ask us for details.